How does it work?
All you have to do is click on the "Start the Story
Starter" button below, and a description of a story will be randomly produced for
you. The elements given will include:
- Protagonist's Gender: Male or Female
- Protagonist's Job or Profession: This element provides a
basis for understanding his or her everyday life, concerns, income level, talents, and
- The Antagonist: The principal character (or thing) in conflict
with the protagonist of a story.
- A Key Object or Symbol: What do you think of when you hear the
word 'knife'? How about a hair brush? Everyday objects as symbols can be used to set the thematic
tone of a story; or they can serve as keys to the plot of a tale.
- Setting: A time and place in which the story occurs. The
Story Starter usually gives just the place. It is your job to determine
- Theme: The psychological/spiritual/moral issue at hand for
the protagonist. From empowerment to evil.
Your story should include all of these given elements! In some cases
the random story elements produced will seem to fit in your mind, but one element or two
seem impossible to include: stretch your mind and try to include them!